Thursday, June 11, 2009

Tips for Quilters



Although I don't create quilts for sale, I do love to spend the breaks in my schedule working on quilts for our home and family members. Right now I'm busy with two nearly identical quilts (almost simultaneously!) for two of my Grand-daughters. The quilts are a machine embroidered applique version of the hand appliqued wonder that was created by Natalie Bird of Australia, the Fairyland Quilt.

If you'd like to learn more about this quilt and her other projects, you can visit Natalie's web site http://www.thebirdhouse.com.au/index.htm. To see a larger view of the quilt, this link will take you there - http://www.thebirdhouse.com.au/Fairyland/Quilt.htm

As I would love to complete the entire quilts myself, rather than sending them out for the quilting (a long arm quilting machine is on my wish list), I was undecided about hand or machine stitching. Since I'd love to gift these to my GD's before they are too old to enjoy them, I am planning to machine stitch them. And since I don't normally machine stitch my quilts, but opt to send them out to professionals, I needed to find some information.

There are lots of books written on the subject of machine quilting (and other tips), but there are also some great web sites which can provide just the right amount of information for free. I found such a source and wanted to share it with my quilting friends. The web page has a number of tips and tricks to help the beginning quilter and help refresh skills for those who haven't quilted in a while. http://www.battsintheattic.com/PrimaryPages/tips.html

I hope you enjoy these tips and tricks as much as I did! And once my quilts are completed, I'll share a photo with you.

Have a sensational day!

Shari

No comments:

Post a Comment